Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pass, Fail



The Medstud just started Block 2 of medical school. Block 1 went well. The first 4 weeks were intense and super challenging. His grandfather was dying. And with constant trips to the hospital and back he was slacking on the studying; with good reason of course. His grandfather went to be with the LORD August 13th and from there The Medstud put the petal to the medal.

** Blocks= 8 weeks of intense, mind grueling, brain draining studying. Followed by finals, week 9.**

UCLA's grading system is pass/fail. Clearly the Medstud passed or else he wouldn't be in week 9. Actually, I'm not sure what occurs if a student fails. Lets hope we NEVER find out.

One of the Medstud's classes, which he has every block, is doctoring. The class has made him such a better listener!!! So, of course I benefit and so will our little one when she starts babbling away. The class is basically on patient care and learning the information needed to make a proper diagnosis. Statistically, 80% of the time it is what's being said that aids the doctor in finding what is wrong with the patient. So, the doctor essentially sits with the patient (for however amount of time, carefully listening) and goes over their medical history. The doctoring class is to teach our future doctors how to listen, without interrupting the patient and be able to re-state what the patient has disclosed. Open-ended questions are also essential to having the patient further explain. 

Once in a while the Medstud interviews me for practice and quite often it would turn into a comical skit.

Example:

Medstud: Hi, I'm the Medstud and I will be asking you some questions before the head Dr. comes in to see you.

Me: HELLOOOOOO! Medstud!

Medtsud: What health problems brought you here today?

Me: Diarrhea.

Medstud: Ok. When did it start?

Me: 2 days ago and it won't stop. (Trying to control laughter, I'm suppose to be helping him right?!?)

Medstud: Do you have any discomfort or pain in your stomach? If so, how often does your stomach hurt? What have you been able to eat?

Me: I have bubble guts! Everything I eat just comes in and goes right out. I love chips and hardly drink water. I like to drink pool water though.

*End scene*

So whenever the Medstud goes into doctoring class and they bring in the real actors to practice on, he would want to burst out in laughter remembering his rehearsal time with me.

Some of the "cases" he does get are interesting. And most of the time it's like trying to solve a murder mystery, except you're trying to figure out what has infiltrated the human body and is causing such malfunctioning.

As far as routine and having a system for studying goes, the Medstud has been diligent and has found what works for him; which is a big praise!

Let's pray Block 2 is as successful as Block 1and that our patient interviews together are just as funny.


No comments:

Post a Comment